Zero Waste Pledge
The Zero Waste Pledge is a nationwide endorsement programme supported by Zero Waste Malaysia to evaluate businesses / organisations in minimising waste and utilising resources efficiently throughout their operations.
- To Inspire & Encourage businesses / organisations to implement the Zero Waste approach in their overall operation and management
- To close the loop, and so achieving circular economy!
By closing the loop, all of us can cut greenhouse gases, reduce pollution, reinvest resources locally and mindfully, create more job opportunities and add more value for the organisation and community!
Zero Pledge Benefits
While most businesses today only focus on the bottom line or profit, businesses of tomorrow focus on the triple-bottom line: Profit, People and Planet.
Going Zero Waste will positively impact the sustainability performance of any organisation by generating long-term financial benefits whilst safeguarding the local environment and community. More importantly, it allows an organisation to align itself with how the world is changing.
In general, the Zero Waste mindset is about Refusing, Reducing, Reusing, Recycling and Rotting.
Refusing means first saying no to resources that may not be necessary for your business. This means producing less waste which also means less work and less cost.
Reducing means rethinking the way you use existing resources and reducing the need for them. Planning for less waste would require implementation of more efficient operations which again, leads to less work and less cost!
Reusing means taking resources you already own and reusing it for different purposes. Being more efficient with your resources will reduce the overall costs of your business.
Recycling means sending your used resources (or waste) to be recycled into new products. There are many businesses out there that will pay for your trash thus, generating some income for your business as well.
Rotting is the process of mindful disposal of the remaining wastes to biodegrade through composting. The compost can be used to feed a garden thus, contributing back to human health and the environment.
Benefits to the Business:
- Going Zero Waste will reduce your business cost
- Better your operational performance through the conduct of an internal review (prior to your Zero Waste transition)
- You will be leading an entire movement towards a better future for all
- Sustainability is sexy. The modern consumer today prefers a business that is sustainable over one that isn’t, helping you boost your sales and audience.
- A sustainable business boosts employee morale leading to a happier workspace
- Contributes to your Corporate Social Responsibility
Zero Waste Pledge Steps
- Register your organisation / business online at https://zerowastemalaysia.org/zero-waste-pledge-form/. Full payment is required upon registration.
- Zero Waste Malaysia will conduct a preliminary verification and review of your application.
- After the preliminary review, Zero Waste Malaysia personnel will visit your office / store to perform an onsite assessment.
- Upon approval of registration, your organisation / business will receive:
- An electronic commitment certificate with Pledge Action details for a validity period of one (1) year; Here’s sample of certificate
- Use of the marketing collateral for own marketing purposes;
- Complimentary publicity on the Zero Waste Malaysia official website and media coverage where appropriate.
- Zero Waste Malaysia will carry out regular Pledge audit(s) over the span of the one (1) year validity period.
- Zero Waste Malaysia will publish a case study report that highlights the resource savings and waste reductions by your organisation / business as a result of your Zero Waste Pledge.
- Before the Pledge term ends, Zero Waste Malaysia will have a follow-up meeting to reassess your waste stream and set new Pledge(s) for the future.
- Remember to renew your Pledge before it expires!
*** Full refund will be provided if the applicant fails the preliminary review.
Zero Waste Pledge Fee
|Size of Project||Business Model||Total Gross Floor Area** (sqft) per outlet or per floor||
Annual Registration Fees (RM)
per outlet or per floor
Annual Renewal Fees (RM)
Per outlet or per floor
||2,000 and below||350||300|
|Small||2,001 – 4,000||450||400|
|Medium||4,001 – 6,000||550||500|
|Large||6,001 and above||Request a quote||Request a quote|
**Total Gross Floor Area is the sum of floor areas of the spaces within the operation outlet/floor, and excludes areas dedicated to parking and circulation of motor vehicles.
Rates shown are as of the date of the application and registration and may be reviewed from time to time as appropriate.
Pledge to commit reducing organic waste by
(i) installing composting machine OR
(ii)work with local community garden group to transform organic waste into rich nutrient fertiliser.
Refillable Dispenser Amenities
Pledge to implement
(i) refillable OR
for amenities over single-use amenities.
Pledge to provide
(i)electronic quotation/ receipt / invoice / delivery order or e-ticket OR
(ii)implement paperless check-in and survey data collection.
(i)go paperless and perform / display communication through electronics sharing OR
(ii)implement duplex printing for any documentation.
Low waste delivery
Pledge to commit a low impact delivery by
(i) eliminating unnecessary packing material OR
(ii)using easily recyclable / compostable / post-consumer material approach.
Support BYO Initiatives
Pledge to encourage Bring.Your.Own concept by
(i)not providing single-use disposable carrier.
Pledge to purchase products in bulk without individual packaging such as
(i)purchase of household products i.e cleanser, shampoo, detergent with refillable / upcycle / reusable container or bottle OR
(ii)purchase of food in reusable and plastic-free packaging.
Pledge to implement recycling initiative such as
(i)implement recycled towel / bed sheets programme OR
(ii)provide in-house recycling station OR
(iii)engage with local charity / recycling company / second hand store to recycle the recyclables.
Pledge to provide reusable cutlery.
Nude Zero Waste Store
Minus Zero Waste Store
Seedy Zero Waste Store
Who can Join?
The Zero Waste Pledge programme is open to any Malaysian businesses registered under the Companies Commission of Malaysia (CCM) that wants to commit to reducing their waste. If you have the authority to commit your organisation / business to the Zero Waste Pledge, select your Pledge Action now and start realising savings!
How to choose my Pledge Action?
Our team wants to ensure that you set Pledge Action(s) which is/are realistic, achievable and will benefit your organisation / business. You can choose the Pledge Action from our list of suggested Pledge Action list. Once your Pledge is accepted, we will provide the support you need to help you achieve the Pledge Action.
If you have chosen to set any of your own Pledge Action, our team members will review your Pledge Action and may contact you for further information before your Pledge application is accepted.
What happens if I don’t renew my Pledge?
The Pledge certificate is valid for one (1) year from the date of issuance. Your Pledge certificate will be terminated automatically if it is not renewed. You will no longer be entitled to use the Pledge marketing materials or be able to display your Pledge certificate in your premises, online or in print.
Can I terminate my Pledge?
Yes, you may terminate your Pledge anytime with a formal one-month advance notice to Zero Waste Malaysia. You will no longer be entitled to use the Pledge marketing materials or be able to display your Pledge certificate in your premises, online or in print. Please also note that there will be no refund on the subscription fee paid.
Can my Pledge be terminated?
Yes, your Pledge may be terminated after three (3) strikes on non-compliances – identified through site visits, audits or public reports/grievances. Your business/organisation will receive official warning statement/letter via email from Zero Waste Malaysia if we receive any complaint regarding violations on your business/organisation’s Pledge. For businesses that receive three (3) warnings for not fulfilling on any of the Pledge Action during that particular one-year pledge term, Zero Waste Malaysia reserves the right to terminate the endorsement immediately upon verification and investigation.
Can I re-enroll to the Programme if Zero Waste Malaysia terminates my Pledge?
Yes. For first time offender, your organisation / business is welcome to re-enroll in the Zero Waste Pledge programme. However, your organisation / business will be suspended for one (1) year (from the date of termination) if Zero Waste Malaysia terminates the endorsement due to your repeat violation subject to Zero Waste Malaysia’s final decision. Zero Waste Malaysia reserves the right to blacklist the organisations / businesses that have been disqualified from the Zero Waste Pledge programme for three (3) times or more.
Are there any terms and conditions associated with the Zero Waste Pledge programme?
Yes, any businesses that makes a Zero Waste Pledge is required to provide its consent to our terms and conditions, including that the individual who submitted the Pledge must have the approval of their senior management to do so.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further inquiries!